Houston Cargo-Related Truck Accident Lawyers
When semi-truck drivers receive sufficient training, most are able to maintain control of an extremely heavy truck, which is much more difficult to stop than a passenger vehicle. However, when a truck driver loses control of their semi-truck, the consequences can be devastating—even fatal. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a truck cargo accident, it is important to know what to do and how our Houston truck accident attorney can get you the help and compensation you deserve.
The Dangers of Unsteady Cargo
There are a few different factors that can cause a truck to tip over, but it is almost always related to issues with the cargo. This can happen when:
- The truck is carrying cargo that is unbalanced.
- The truck is carrying cargo that has not been loaded or secured properly.
- Cargo that is unsecured flies off of the truck, causing a road obstruction or falling beneath the truck wheels.
Big rigs and tractor-trailers have large cargo loads, and this makes them much more susceptible to rollovers as rear cargo unexpectedly shifts. This weight transfer happens very quickly before there is time to react. If a truck makes a turn at an unsafe speed, shifted cargo can place too much weight and cause the truck to flip over. If this happens in Texas, our accident attorneys can help you win damages.
Potential Defendants in a Pasadena Truck Rollover Accident
While it might seem obvious when cargo causes a crash, it can still be difficult to prove fault. There could be several liable parties, including:
- The trucker. The trucker is sometimes to blame due to driving negligently. If they drive while texting, are not well-rested, or are distracted for any other reason, they can be held responsible.
- The trucking company. The trucking company can be responsible for any negligent hiring or for failing to maintain the safety and balance of their trucks. If they encourage their workers to overfill the trucks in order to raise their profit margin, they could be held accountable.
- The company that loaded the cargo. Lastly, the company providing the cargo might be to blame if it hasn’t properly trained its workers on the correct loading and packing protocols.
Working with an auto accident attorney can help you get to the bottom of who is potentially responsible, as they will work closely with you to gather not only your perspective of what has happened but also that of any witnesses. They will also be able to look into the company’s history of accidents and determine if there was any physical proof of overloaded or imbalanced cargo.
Possible Injuries Related to a Truck Wreck
Many injuries can occur to both truck drivers and occupants of any other vehicle on the road that gets in the wreck’s path. Unfortunately, more often than not, victims in passenger vehicles incur more severe injuries. Some potential injuries include:
These potential consequences might sound scary, and they are. It is important for truck drivers and their companies to take true caution on the road to avoid such occurrences.
Potential Damages Victims Can Recover
If you are the victim of an accident caused by a semi-truck, there are various damages you can seek legal assistance. These include:
- Past, present, and future medical costs related to the accident
- Lost wages if you are unable to work due to an accident-related injury
- Pain and suffering, including bills for counseling or psychiatric medication as a result of trauma incurred by the wreck
- Out-of-pocket expenses, including car repair or replacement, home modifications to accommodate a permanent disability, and legal fees.