Parents who rely on daycare providers to care for their children while they are at work must be vigilant regarding the possibility of abuse or neglect—especially when they have children who are too young to speak up about their mistreatment. If you suspect your child has been hurt due to daycare abuse or neglect, our daycare abuse attorneys can help you hold the provider or facility fully accountable.
Types of Daycare Abuse and Neglect
The last thing any parent wants is for their child to suffer a serious injury because of someone else's misconduct. When you place your child in daycare, you conduct an extensive investigation into the facilities and the staff to make sure that your child will be well cared for. Unfortunately, even the most thorough parental research can't always account for the effects of an understaffed facility or the actions of an untrained and unprepared caregiver.
Your child may have suffered an injury due to:
- Poorly maintained facilities or equipment
- Poor supervision throughout the day, such as failing to intervene when one child becomes overly aggressive with another
- Leaving cleaning supplies or other unsafe items in places where curious children can easily reach them
- Neglect of basic needs, such as failing to provide food, water, and assistance using the restroom
- Inadequate security that allows a child to wander off
- Direct physical abuse as a form of discipline or a reaction to the caregiver's frustration
If your child has been injured at daycare, a personal injury lawyer at our firm can help you file a claim. This is a type of civil action that is separate from any criminal charges the daycare provider or the facility may face for abuse or neglect. However, evidence from the criminal case can be used to support your claim.
How to Recognize Signs of Daycare Abuse
While some cases of daycare abuse or neglect can produce obvious warning signs, others are harder to recognize at first. Be alert to any of the following potential signs your child is being mistreated at daycare:
- Unexplained scratches, cuts, or bruises
- Frequent hunger and thirst when picked up at the end of the day
- Having a dirty diaper, dirty face, or dirty hands when picked up at the end of the day
- Becoming shy and withdrawn
- Acting aggressively towards peers or pets
- Seeming fearful of care providers or making excuses to avoid daycare
- Separation anxiety
- Regression in behavior, such as having accidents after being potty trained
- Frequent nightmares and sleep disturbances
- Extreme mood swings
Your child's pediatrician should perform a full medical evaluation whenever you suspect abuse or neglect.
What to Do When You Suspect Your Child Has Been Abused or Neglected at Daycare
Prompt action is crucial when you suspect your child has been mistreated at daycare. The first thing you should do after retaining one of our daycare abuse attorneys is to report the situation to the daycare's licensing office. The licensing office may then investigate the daycare to determine if there are grounds for your claim. Their findings could be used to strengthen your personal injury claim so that you can win fair compensation for your child's injuries or abuse. From broken bones to molestation, our firm can fight for the compensation and justice that you deserve.
Our Daycare Abuse Attorneys Are Here for You
Has your child suffered abuse, neglect, or serious injury at a daycare center? Our Texas daycare abuse attorneys can help you fight for justice and fair compensation. We offer 24/7 accessibility, and we work with our clients one-on-one to get the best possible results. Our lawyers are also trial-ready and will not hesitate to take your case to court when it is in your best interests.
SJ Injury Attorneys serves clients throughout Texas, including those in Houston, Pasadena, Baytown, Clear Lake, Webster, Friendswood, Deer Park, LaPorte, Texas City, League City, Galveston, Pearland, Spring, Katy, Channelview, Jersey Village, and Missouri City. Contact our team today to schedule a free, no-obligation initial consultation.