Texas Hit-and-Run Accident Attorneys
Car accidents are always difficult situations, but a hit-and-run accident is exceptionally traumatizing. When the driver is nowhere to be found, it can seem overwhelming to even think about pursuing damages. However, it is important to work with an attorney to at least explore your options. A qualified Houston car accident lawyer can help you with many aspects of your case, including:
- Locating the driver who hit you
- Helping you navigate uninsured motorist coverage
- Fighting for financial compensation
Although the process can be daunting, it is worth your health and well-being to take steps toward justice.
Potential Recovery and Why to Fight for it
In the state of Texas, drivers are required by law to stay at the scene of an accident. If a driver “hits and runs” without stopping and exchanging information with the other drivers involved, they are breaking the law and are subject to both criminal prosecution and potentially paying you compensation for your pain and suffering.
If you find yourself in a hit-and-run accident, there are a few steps to take. These can preserve your chances when it comes to pressing charges and winning your case.
What to Do After a Texas Hit and Run
- Don’t chase after the driver. This is extremely dangerous, as you do not know the full situation. The driver could be armed, intoxicated, or dangerous. Do not confront the offending party.
- Do call 911. Report the accident to the police as soon as possible, and do not leave the scene. Give as many details as you have, including anything you can remember about the fleeing vehicle.
- Speak to witnesses. If there are others on site who saw the collision and pulled over to help, ask them for recorded or written statements and get their contact information.
- Take pictures. Use your cell phone to photograph the car, any debris on the road, and anything else relevant to the accident
- Seek medical help. Go to the hospital for an examination, even if you feel fine. You could have hidden injuries that will make themselves known later on. It is best to get a full medical exam and have it on record in case you later incur injuries you wish to include in litigation.
If you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident, there are several types of damages you could potentially be awarded. These include:
- Past and future medical costs
- Lost wages and income
- Out-of-pocket costs for car repair or replacement
- Pain and suffering
If you choose not to fight it, you will be responsible for all financial repercussions. If you have uninsured motorist coverage, you can file a claim with your own insurer. It can be helpful to have someone on your side to navigate the claim. Your insurance company could act as an adverse party even though you pay them for insurance. It can be confusing, and working with a knowledgeable attorney will increase your chances of receiving compensation.
How to Recover Damages and Receive Fair Compensation
Compensation is pursued in one of two ways. Hit and run accidents can be complicated, especially if the other driver can’t be found, but you still have options available to you.
First, you can file a claim against the other driver. If the driver is caught, you can file a claim with that driver’s insurance company. Sometimes drivers flee the scene of the crime because they are uninsured. If this is the case, you can file a lawsuit against the driver directly.
If the driver is not found, or they lack the personal resources required to pay, you can file a claim with your own insurance company. According to Texas law, all auto insurers must offer uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This coverage is automatic unless you signed a document refusing it at the time of your policy going into effect.
There are many things that can complicate a hit-and-run claim. At SJ Injury Attorneys, we have the experience and determination to represent you in a manner that will greatly improve your chances of receiving damages from your hit-and-run accident.