While walking is a healthy way to stay in shape, it comes with risks whenever you walk in an area shared with vehicles. Texas, in particular, has a high rate of pedestrian deaths from car collisions. If you have been hit by a car and survived, you are fortunate but also deserving of the compensation you are eligible for if the driver was at fault. Our Pasadena TX car accident lawyer can help, and you won’t pay anything up front to get started.
Causes of Pedestrian Car Crashes in Texas
While there are many reasons why a car might hit a pedestrian, there are several explanations that are reported frequently. Some of these causes of pedestrian accidents include the driver of the vehicle:
- Failing to give right-of-way to pedestrians, as required by law
- Driving while distracted by using a cell phone, eating, or otherwise not keeping their eyes on the road
- Ignoring traffic lights and signs
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Drowsy driving due to fatigue or lack of proper rest
Injuries Sustained by Pedestrians in Collisions With Cars
When a car collides with a pedestrian, things undoubtedly turn out worse for the pedestrian. A variety of injuries may occur, and unfortunately, sometimes such incidents can be fatal. Texas has seen a sharp increase in pedestrian deaths over the years. Of course, many survive such a collision, but they don't usually just walk away. Some injuries you may incur include:
- Brain injuries. These include everything from temporary concussions to long-term cognitive damage.
- Spinal cord injuries. Back injuries can result in minor slipped discs or full paralysis.
- Broken bones. Arms, legs, ribs, and pelvic bones are commonly fractured when a pedestrian is hit.
- Internal injuries. Internal bleeding and even punctured organs are common and may not be detected immediately.
- Lacerations. Everything from minor cuts to large lacerations requiring stitches or even surgery can happen in a crash.
What to Do After a Crash
If you are a pedestrian hit by a car, it can be terrifying. The first thing you should do if you are able is to call 911. With an EMT or police officer on the scene, they can physically treat you but also ensure evidence is gathered, photos are taken, and witness statements are collected.
If you feel well following the collision, you can take action yourself. Be sure to:
- Speak to any witnesses and gather their contact information.
- Take photos of the car that hit you, including license plates.
- Take photos of any evidence in the road—skids, broken glass, broken items, etc.
- Exchange insurance information with the driver of the car.
As soon as everything at the scene has been completed and a police report has been filed, go to the hospital. If you feel you need ambulance transport to prevent further injury, this can be arranged. Otherwise, visit a doctor for an examiniation immediately. There are many injuries that cannot be seen but can be very serious. Some injuries also might not appear for several days or weeks. Having proper medical care and keeping records is key to winning any suit filed against the driver.
Compensation You Are Eligible for As a Pedestrian
If you are a pedestrian struck by a vehicle, you are eligible for compensation. This can include:
- Past and future medical expenses related to the accident
- Lost wages if you are unable to work due to the accident
- Any out-of-pocket costs for paperwork, attorney fees, or home modifications related to current or permanent injuries
- Pain and emotional suffering
If you wish to pursue damages related to a pedestrian-car collision, it is important to speak to an experienced attorney. At SJ Injury Attorneys, we can help with the following:
- Gathering evidence
- Negotiating with insurance companies
- Filing the case in court
- Protecting your rights
When you're serious about getting the compensation you deserve following an accident where you were clearly not at fault, give us a call to set up a consultation. Calling a lawyer can seem very intimidating. However, our staff will quickly put you at ease. There is nothing more beneficial than having a professional on your side following the trauma and complications from being struck by a vehicle. Allow us to do the heavy lifting so you can focus on recovery and restarting your life as quickly as possible.