man with back injury at workA back injury is always difficult, no matter what the circumstances. It can be debilitating and take a long time to heal. Recovery can cost you a significant amount in medical bills and lost wages. For these reasons, if the injury happened at work, and your employer does not subscribe to workers' compensation, it is important that you know what to do to get the compensation you deserve. We suggest following these steps.

Report Your Injury

If you injure your back at work, the first thing you need to do is report your injury to your supervisor. Most employers have their own procedure for documenting workplace-related injuries, and it's important to follow this protocol. After you report your injury, make an appointment to see a doctor or go to the ER. The sooner you get medical treatment, the stronger your documentation will be, which can assist you in receiving compensation.

Gather Evidence

After your injury has been reported and you have received appropriate medical treatment, work on gathering evidence. Ask any witnesses to the accident for a written statement of what they observed and get a copy of all medical records related to the incident from your doctor. It is also a good idea to write down your own account of events as soon after the injury as you can, while you can still remember details and facts.

Keep Up With Your Recovery

After your initial doctor examination, be sure to follow instructions closely and attend all follow-up appointments. If you end up going to court to sue for damages, you will want to present your diligence and effort to do all you can towards your recovery to the judge.

When You Have a Non-Subscriber Case

Did you know that some companies in Texas do not have workers' compensation insurance? These companies are known as non-subscribers and have officially opted out of the formal system. However, they do need to carry some sort of insurance or financial plan, which means you can still seek damages related to your injury. You should know if your employer is a non-subscriber because they are required to post a written notice visible to all employees. There should also be an injury and illness policy in your contract and any employee manual you receive.

Contacting an injury attorney as soon as possible can help you build a strong case and receive the compensation owed to you. The experienced lawyers at SJ Injury Attorneys know how to navigate the process and win you compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and emotional distress from your non-subscriber employer. Contact us today for a consultation.

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment