Accidents Cause By Brake Failure in Texas
Who Is Liable in a Brake Failure Accident
When an accident occurs, the first step is to determine who is liable. There are a few options when it comes to brake failure, including:
- The car manufacturer. If the accident is caused by brake defects, such as rotors or brake pads that were defective straight out of the factory, the vehicle’s manufacturer could be held liable. If an investigation proves that a brake failure caused the accident, charges can potentially be filed against the company.
- Car dealerships or repair shops. If a vehicle’s brakes fail due to improper installation or servicing, then dealerships or mechanics involved with the work can be held liable for negligence. These operations are responsible for employee errors and are insured to cover negligence-based claims.
- The driver. If the owner of the car that caused the accident has failed to properly maintain the brakes, then they might be held responsible for your injuries. If the accident involved a commercial truck, then the company that owns and operates that vehicle could also be held responsible.
The Dangers of Brake Failure Accidents in Pasadena
When a brake failure occurs, it happens very suddenly. When drivers experience brake failure, there is no advance warning, and the end result is almost always catastrophic. The driver will be unable to stop or slow the vehicle down, and it can also cause it to violently jerk to an unexpected stop or even pull to one side into a lane of oncoming traffic. Whatever the movement caused by brake failure, it is always dangerous and startling.
Possible Injuries From Brake-Failure Collisions
Depending upon how both car and driver react to the brake failure, such accidents can cause a variety of injuries. These include:
- Broken bones, including arms, legs, wrists, neck, shoulder blades, and ribs
- Internal injuries, including punctured organs or internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injuries that can range in severity and cause permanent paralysis
- Brain injury that can cause either temporary or long-term cognitive damage
Injuries from a brake failure car accident can be grievous, and it is important to visit a doctor immediately following the accident and keep all paperwork in case you decide to file a claim.
What to Do After a Brake Failure Crash
If you are involved in a collision due to brake failure, there are some steps you should take to protect yourself and effectively win damages.
- Call 911. Even if you walk away without any injuries, it is important to call 911 before leaving the scene. This can expedite medical help for you and anyone else injured, as well as getting a police officer to make an official report.
- Go to the hospital. Again, your health and well-being should be your priority. Visit an ER or make an appointment for the same day to get an examination. You could have silent injuries or pain that appears several days, weeks, or months following the accident.
- Gather evidence. Before leaving the scene of the accident, take pictures of your vehicle, any other cars involved, any debris in the roadway, or anything else that seems pertinent. If there are any witnesses, get their contact information and consider using your phone to make a recorded statement if possible.
- Call an experienced lawyer. Working with a qualified Texas injury attorney immediately following the accident will make the litigation process much more straightforward, winning you maximum damages.
Potential Compensation From a Brake Failure Crash
If you are the victim of a brake failure car crash, you can potentially win compensation for:
- Past and future medical costs
- Lost income if you are unable to work due to the accident
- Out-of-pocket costs, including car repair or replacement, home modifications due to permanent or long-term injuries, court filing fees, etc.
- Pain and suffering, including the cost of mental health treatment due to trauma from the incident.
How a Texas Accident Attorney Can Help
Working with a Houston Metro car accident lawyer is one of the smartest moves you can make if you’ve been involved in a car accident. While it can seem expensive or intimidating to contact an attorney, there are many benefits. At SJ Injury Attorneys, our legal team provides a variety of services related to your accident, including:
- Gathering evidence from the crash
- Identifying defendants
- Negotiating with insurance companies
- Representing you in court
- Winning you fair compensation