The moments before a head-on collision can be truly frightening. Suddenly, there is a vehicle headed straight for you—a vehicle on the wrong side of the road and likely moving fast. If you are hurt in a head-on collision in Houston that you did not cause, as our Texas car accident attorney explains, you are likely entitled to compensation for your injuries and their aftermath.
How a Head-On Collisions Happens in Texas
Head-on collisions can be caused by a number of factors. They include:
- Distracted drivers. A driver who is distracted, i.e. texting or talking on the phone, fiddling with the radio, engrossed in conversation or bothered by a fussy child, may drift into oncoming traffic without noticing that it is happening.
- Tired drivers. Too many people drive when they are sleepy, and it only takes a moment for a vehicle to drift into oncoming traffic if a driver has nodded off.
- Impaired drivers. A driver who is drunk or who has been using drugs is quite likely to have difficulty staying in the appropriate lane.
- Poorly executed pass. On two-lane roads, it is all too easy to end up in a head-on collision with a driver who has not left themselves enough time and space to pass a vehicle ahead of them.
- Tight curves. If a driver is going too fast when they enter a tight curve, they may struggle to stay in their own lane—and they may not see vehicles coming around the same curve in the other direction.
- Equipment malfunction or defect. Something could go wrong with a car’s power steering, brake system, tires, and more that could lead to a vehicle ending up in the wrong lane and causing a head-on collision.
Types of Injuries People Usually Suffer in These Kinds of Accidents
If your vehicle is hit head-on, you and other passengers in your car may be injured in a variety of ways. Injuries could include:
- Concussion or other sorts of head trauma
- Injuries to the spinal cord that can lead to permanent paralysis
- Fractured ribs
- Injuries to the organs in the abdominal area of the body
- Injuries to the legs and feet including broken bones and damage to muscles, tendons, and ligaments
- Disfiguring scars or burns
- Amputation of limbs—either in the crash itself or as a result of injuries sustained in the crash
A Houston Personal Injury Attorney Can Help You Collected Damages After a Head-On Collision
It probably goes without saying that your first priority following any sort of crash—including a head-on collision—is to get the medical attention you need right away. Your long-term recovery may very well depend on getting quality medical care quickly.
Once you have seen a doctor and your immediate needs are addressed, your second priority should be to find a skilled Houston personal injury lawyer who can represent your interests. Your Houston personal injury attorney will investigate the causes and aftermath of the accident, prevent an insurance company from talking you into accepting a lowball offer, negotiate vigorously for a fair settlement, and represent you in court if a settlement cannot be reached.
You may be entitled to compensation for all medical expenses related to the accident, lost wages and benefits (both now and on an ongoing basis), pain and suffering, and more. Your attorney will be your best advocate—and their expertise and experience are the keys to arriving at appropriate compensation.
SJ Injury Attorneys Will Tackle Your Case Head-On
If you have been injured in a head-on collision in Houston, the odds are good that you have a lot on your mind—including, first and foremost, recovering from your injuries. It might be tempting to take an insurance company’s quick offer of a settlement so that you can put that portion of the ordeal behind you. Unfortunately, that is nearly always a mistake.
To make sure you are appropriately compensated, you need the guidance and advocacy of an experienced Houston personal injury attorney. The lawyers of SJ Injury Attorneys are ready and able to fight for you and to work tirelessly toward a fair settlement of your case. Contact us today to discuss the details of your case—and then let us get to work for you.